Sydney Lea - Cowboy Interrupted. Visiting Author post

 

First comes love, then comes...baby?


Joshua Kell signs a deal that will set his ranch up for life and then spends the night with the woman of his dreams. Waking up alone, he returns home, nursing a broken heart.

Brianna Evans struggles to overcome a horrific trauma. After two years, she's finally taking back control of her life, but she panics when she wakes up next to Josh.

Bri has to find him again, and when she does, hopes he'll understand and forgive her for running. She wants the chance to be happy again. But when a ghost from her past threatens to take everything away, Bri has to trust her cowboy will stop at nothing to keep her safe.



Excerpt


Josh tried really hard not to acknowledge how the touch of her hand in his made him feel. He needed to focus. "How long have you been looking for me?"

A self-deprecating laugh bubbled out when she shook her head. "Um, about twenty minutes after you had checked out."

"What?" Josh asked, surprised.

She started looking for him before? He had assumed she began her search when she discovered the pregnancy. God, he really needed to stop assuming things, because regardless of the saying, the only one it made look like an ass was him.

"When I got home, I called my sister to blast her for letting me drink and go home with a strange man who could have hurt me. Needless to say, she reminded me I was a grown woman and when she was done, she told me about you. Charlotte said we really hit it off, and you seemed like a great guy. She also mentioned I'd be a fool to let you slip through my fingers."

"So you called the hotel, and they told you I was gone.” He made it a statement. He could see exactly how it played out. "And you didn't know my last name, so they wouldn't give you any details and you couldn't track me down."

Bri nodded. "Pretty much. I tried to move on, even when small parts of the night came back, but then I got really sick and went to the doctor. That was eight weeks ago. This morning Charlotte turned up on my doorstep with the article about you and daddy.” She grimaced when she mentioned her dad.

He repeated the action. "I can't believe Brian Evan is your father.” He was in so much trouble.

"Uh-huh.” She nodded, agreeing with him.

He winced. "You know he's gonna have my balls and my business, right?"

"Daddy won't do that.” She didn't quite believe her own words.

"Oh, yes, he would. I'd do the same damn thing if it were my daughter."

Aw, hell. He'd probably just shoot the bastard.

"Good to know.” She snickered.

Frowning, it took him a minute to catch on. Then he paled when it hit him, that he might very well have a daughter. "Oh, God."

She didn't snicker again—she laughed her ass off. "Just dawned on you, did it?"

His usual anger at being the butt of the joke never came. Bri didn't intend it to be mean, she simply found him amusing, and he kinda liked that.

What is this woman doing to me?

"Your father is still gonna come after me. You have to be prepared for that. I promise I won't let that interfere, though."

Bri sobered quickly. Deep in thought, her brow furrowed. Her button nose scrunched up, and she gave her bottom lip a workout. Still, nothing could have prepared him for her next words.

"We could tell him we're engaged."










No comments